Wednesday, January 21, 2009

You Should've Seen It In 2.4 megapixels!

I saw this picture at Kate Heffernan's site today:
I'm not really sure why I think it's awesome, but I do.



For those of you who don't see what the big deal is...realize that all those kids are holding up the cell phone camera's to take a picture of the moment.

The other day, Matthew and I were listening to a song called "In Color". We talked about how that song demonstrates a HUGE difference between his life, and that of his grandfathers.
The song talks of pictures taken during the Great Depression, WWII and so forth and how they were, obviously, in black and white (or sepia :)
Today's children won't really have a concept of true B&W photos...just ones that are that way for effect. Heck, all the pictures of my life are in color. But you still have to get off my lawn!
The digital age and the ubiquity of digital cameras are going to change the way our kids remember their own unique history.
It's going to be interesting if they remember like their parents and grandparents: The snow was always whiter (and deeper), grass was always greener, politicians were honest, gas was cheap and the sky was clear.

Or, maybe they'll remember with a bit more clarity: Some winters we have lots of snow, some we don't. But we ALWAYS remember the snowy ones better. The grass was greener cause my parents took better care of their lawn than I do, so it's time to grow up and fertilize! Politicians were NEVER honest. We've ALWAYS complained about the price of gas and a blue sky is still just as pretty, but we don't take the time to look at it anymore.