Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The beginning of the holidays!

Wow, it's the day before Thanksgiving already.
What a good day it's been. Beautiful weather in Michigan today. Warm, sunny and not windy at all. Kim got the Christmas lights up today, that should tell you how nice it is.
My boss let the whole team go early today. She rocks. I work at FoMoCo in the IT Department and the place is pretty dead after noon the day before a holiday, so she told us all to get out and have a wonderful weekend.
I got home and Kim and the Kids were out stringing lights and patching a hole in the inflatable thingy in the front yard. She always does such a good job (my wife, not the inflatable thingy). I hate putting up lights but I love looking at them. She likes putting up lights and loves looking at them, so we make a pretty good team there!

My Father in Law came over to finish some electrical wiring for the lights. Kim's been bugging him about that since we moved in. Now we've got an outdoor plug with a switch on it and all!!!

Anyway, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and that's cool and all, but I find I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Every year since we've been married (15 of them in fact) we've gone to my wife's family party. There's always good food and we can watch the Lion's do whatever it is they do (not football) but it's not what it used to be.
The cousins either don't show up, or show up late or leave early because they all have something more important to do. The 'Grown Ups' (Aunts, Uncles and In-Laws) have their petty issues that have to be danced around and it just ends up being a long tiring day.

Not sure what to do about it, other than suck it up.

The bugger is, we are the good kids. We are the ones that come to all the family stuff we possibly can. We go to church every week. We show up at Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and the family reunions. We are the ones that everyone knows will be there and sometimes that plain sucks. We don't like letting people down by not showing up, but we also don't like feeling pressured into doing something that we don't want to do. How do you split the difference?

Blah!

Well, we'll end up going and then stopping by my sisters afterward and hopefully playing some Books and Runs...fun rummy game.

Friday the fun starts, but that'll be another post.
L8R