Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures- a phenomenon used to denote things (pop music primarily) that people really like but are often too embarrassed to admit to.

Guilty pleasures are one of the wonders of living.
It always makes me kind of giggle when I'm endulging in a guilty pleasure, when someone notices me, and I quickly cover up whatever it is I'm doing/watching/listening to. It doesn't make any sense. If I like and enjoy whatever that pleasure is, why would I be ashamed that I'm doing it? Why wouldn't I want to share?!
Why do I care what you think? I enjoy it, that settles it.

But the fact is, that's not usually the case. Usually*, I pull a stop and hide action. Switch off the iPod, change the station, stop singing what I'm singing, whatever needs to happen to make sure YOU don't know that I enjoy something that EVERYONE else thinks is goofy/silly/childish/out dated.

Now, this bothers me! I like what I like, and that's what I like. So, I'm posting here to come clean. I'm gonna admit some of my guilty pleasures. Not all of them, cause I can't remember them all. I'm sure I got zillions.

My most favoritest guilty pleasure is Neil Diamond music.
I LOVE IT when Sweet Caroline (bah bah baaaahhh) comes on the iPod. I don't know what it is about Neil's music, but it always lightens my mood. He just had a way about singing and great style and a wonderful voice. But who listens to Neil Diamond? Huh? Who I ask you? 70 year olds, that's who! No self respecting Gen-Xer would be caught dead listening to Cracklin' Rose. I'm sure if I get caught I'm gonna be forced to listen to some Nirvana or U2 or something like that, but I can't help it!
I also like John Denver (who helped inspire this post), Abba and Weird Al so there.

Cartoons:
My name is Donnie and I'm a cartoon addict. I realize that I'm 35, 36, 37, ok 38 but I've watched cartoons since I could remember. It doesn't really matter which ones either...I like 'em all. Growing up, I remember watching things like the Superfriends, Smurfs (which is a big admission in itself), Rocky and Bullwinkle, Popeye, Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman, Fat Albert and so many many more. I guess it's just a thing...I'm betting I'm not the only guy my age who still loves cartoons, though...Today's cartoons are mostly ok. I'm sure it's just like when I was a kid, some where drivel, some were ok and some were awesome. Today, cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender, Code: Lyoko and such are really cool and interesting. Sure, there's a bunch of JUNK (I'm talking to you Ed, Edd and Eddy, Camp Lazlo and Billy and Mandy), but still, they're cartoons...what are ya gonna do?

I guess the last one I'm gonna post about is talking to myself. I do it all the time. What's even worse, I argue with myself, out loud. I do it all the time. I think the reason why is that it helps me work out emotions, things that confuse me (no comments please) and situations I'm about to walk into. I'm not really sure if this qualifies as a guilty pleasure, but it definately fits the criteria. When I'm chatting away, and someone comes by, or looks at me, ZIP I stop right away. Sometimes I'll giggle at what they must be thinking.

Ok, so what. I bet you've got some of your own. Maybe you are a closet Hee-Haw fan. Maybe you eat White Castle Hamburgers...SOBER.
What are your guilty pleasures? The world wants to know!


*Sometimes, when I'm in the mood or in the moment, it wouldn't matter if Bill Ford walks into my cube, I'm gonna finish the Sweet Caroline chorus...ask the people who sit across from me at work....they'll tell you!