Friday, March 02, 2007

Song of the Turtle

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.


This may be the very first piece of biblical scripture I ever heard or cared about. Every year, on the Great Voice of the Great Lakes, the first game of Tiger Baseball Spring Training would start with this quote.

I am a big baseball fan and when I was a kid, there were few things better than listening to Ernie Harwell call a baseball game on a summers evening. And NOTHING said summer was coming like Spring Training and the Voice of the Turtle quote by Ernie. Many years, this first game came during the week, so I was at school (stupid school). But some years that first game came on Saturday or Sunday, and you know you could find me by a radio, waiting for Ernie to come on and tell me spring is coming.

Even though Ernie has retired from Tiger Baseball broadcasting, he is still invited to interviews to quote the beautiful scripture.

Most people look to that stupid groundhog to tell them spring is coming. For me, there are only two things that do it for me.
1. Spring Training
2. Masters commercials on TV

Well, the Tigers are 2-0 in spring training and you can see Masters commercials on CBS all weekend long.
Spring is coming!