Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's the little things

Kim started a job a few weeks ago. She works for a lady who cleans houses. It's a good job and she enjoys the work, and I enjoy the fact that we have extra income.

However, since she's been doing this, she goes into work much earlier. She used to be able to take our youngest son to school around the block.
Now, that job falls to me.
I realized this morning how much I'm enjoying this little thing.

The thing about it that I enjoy so much is, when I drop him off, he runs to the front door. Even if he's not late, he runs. I love that. I don't know why, but something about it strikes me as wonderful.
Now, you've got to understand that he's my son. That means that he's, um, less than graceful when he runs. That doesn't matter. I love to watch him as he's running to get to the school.

It reminds me of a time several years ago when Kim had a job working at the school and I was unemployed, finishing my degree. The twins were just 5 or 6 years old and I think still in pre-school. I would get them going in the morning and to this day some of my fondest memories in life is eating breakfast with them back then.

Some things sound stupid when you are young but as you age they become much more meaningful. "It's the little things that mean a lot" is one of them.