Sunday, April 01, 2007

Scruffy Looking, Nerf Herding Playa' Hata

The family watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back tonight, and it sent me, as usual, down memory lane.

When I first started working at FoMoCo, I worked with a bunch of Star Wars fans. It was here that I was introduced to websites like Newgrounds, FlashRing and AtomFilms.
This was just after FLASH programming started to really catch on and tons of programmers spent countless hours coming up with unbelievably useless games and videos.
A lot of these videos were used by coders to sharpen their skills, and I'd bet many of these guys used their Flash Animations to help them get jobs.
Some of them were lame. Some were filthy. Some were just wrong.

However, some of them ended up being classics.

I don't remember which one of us found this video first*, but we watched it every chance we got. I've since passed it on to my kids, (not the website!!! It's been years since if surfed the site. It's SFW for the most part, but not really appropriate for kids**) who know the entire rap.

Enjoy:


Not only did budding coders create these to sharpen their Flash coding skills, but Photoshop skills too. Probably the biggest of the early COMBO vids was called All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us. This is an example of one of things that just caught on in the Nerd community. Both of these would probably be considered Viral Videos of their day.


*Young Chadwick probably found it first. A cool thing about Chad is that he's the ONLY person I've ever seen with a Tattoo of The New Republic Insignia. How cool is that!?!

**Whether or not it's appropriate for adults can be debated too!!!