Thursday, January 25, 2007

Found it on eBay

Well, I've done it. After years and years of procrastination I've gone and done it.

I've bought AND sold on eBay.

I can't really say why I've never really bought much on eBay. I've shopped there many many times, but always preferred Brick and Mortor stores to the eShopping of eBay. That's all changed.

We recently upgraded our cell phone service and for doing that, we received two new Razr cell phones from Motorola. That was cool...free is almost always good. It was cool until I went to buy car chargers and belt clips for both of them. At the verizon store, they were (you may need to sit for this) $40.00 A PIECE for a charger clip combo. $80 bucks for some plastic and wire.

Well, that's silly. So, off to eBay I went. Bought THE SAME THING on eBay (new, yes, brand spanking new) for $13.00 for both. Including shipping and handling. That is a savings of, what, $67.00. That's not chump change there. That's real cheese.

So, seeing as I was now the eBay king, because I saved $67.00, I decided to sell some speakers that I've had for a few years. So, I dialed up eBay, signed up as a seller, and auctioned off two speakers. Some dude from Georgia bought them yesterday for $200.00 plus $20.00 Shipping and Handling. Nice. A good deal for both of us.

Not sure if I'll do a bunch more of either buying or selling on eBay, but it's proven to be a fun little experience. I'm considering letting the kids give this a try. Find a toy or something that they don't use/play with/like anymore and see if they can sell it. I think it'll be an educational thing for them to do...the whole free market thing. We'll see.

In any case, if you've been hesitent to give eBay a try or any kind of electronic shopping, start with something small, where there is an obvious savings for you and see if you enjoy the experience. Saving gobs of money should be fun for all.