Thursday, January 18, 2007

Glittering Jewels of Colossal Ignorance part 2

Ok, so, I think if you spend much time at all watching/listening/reading the news you find some people doing some things that make you scratch your head and go "hmmmmmm".
The latest among a long line of people who should win the Darwin Award is this lady from California who died from drinking too much water.
However, that doesn't really make her a Glittering Jewel of Colossal Ignorance. It just makes her stupid.
No, the GJCI is her family. They are filing a WRONGFUL DEATH lawsuit against the radio station for KILLING THEIR DAUGHTER. The local police are looking into filing charges against the radio station (DJ's?)
Now, I'm not sure about whether or not a crime was committed but to sue someone over this seems utterly ridiculous.

Think about this. You sign up for a contest to win a video game (No Wee for a Wii or something like that). You decide to drink water and not go to the bathroom for a week in order to win this. Now, I realize that no one really thinks that drinking water will kill you, but wouldn't you think that, after you start feeling bad, you do a little research, realize that you can die from this and give it up????
I would. I would also think, if I'm one of her parents "Gee, my daughter was a moron for doing this!" Not "Gee, my daughter was duped and someone is gonna pay!".

I also understand that she had three children that need to be taken care of and if they win the lawsuit those kids will be helped. But, shouldn't the mom have thought about those three kids before she did something that COULD KILL HER?
I'm sure the game she wanted to win was for those kids, but that's hardly justification.

At some point, people are going to have to start to take responsibility for their actions and ought not be able to push that responsibility off on anyone else.
She signed up for the contest.
She got sick
She either didn't do research or did do research and ignored it
She died.
No one forced her. From what I read, no one lied to her.
Does her family deserve any money because she was an idiot?

Or, am I just being mean?