Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Glittering Jewels of Colossal Ignorance part 1

This is the first installment of a rant that I'd like to go on. As mentioned in an earlier post, I don't particularly like morons. Morons, idiots, jerks...that kind of stuff really gets on my nerves*. So on the GJCI posts, I'm going to point out people or instances of these that I see.
It pains me that the first group that I will pick on here is Christians. But this is like family, I can pick, but you can't. No really...I get very frustrated with Christian bashing, some times (a lot of times) it's called for. The people who are "Leaders" of the large Christian organizations nationally say and do dumb things that make others of the faith seem as insensitive and stupid as they. Things like Jerry Falwell coming out and saying that the September 11th attacks were a result of God's wrath on a sinful group of people. I don't believe that....can't find it in the bible.
That's just an example, not today's topic.
Today's topic revolves around Keith Ellison (D-Minn). He's the first Muslim elected to congress. He's got a bit of a problem. You see, when "they" swear you in to Congress, you know, to protect and defend the constitution, they make you swear on the bible. Well, Mr. Ellison has a bit of a problem with that. He's a Muslim. He don't believe the bible. He would like to swear on the Koran.

Now, here's where people ard displaying themselves as Glittering Jewels of Colossal Ignorance: People are upset with him over this. They are mad. How dare he not SWEAR ON THE BIBLE?!?!?! Why, that's, that's, unbiblical or something. How dare he? Doesn't he know this is America? Home of the Brave and Land of the Intolerant.
What is really ignorant about the stand that these people are taking is that this: Matthew 5:34 says, and I quote: "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:"

Now, we can get all scholarly on this and discuss context and all, but you can't get around it. A Christian shouldn't need to swear. Yes should mean yes and No should mean No. By that same standard, asking someone who is a Christian to swear on the bible to something is asking the go against the Word of the bible to do so. Asking a non-Christian to be bound by the bible is just dumb ('nother rant for 'nother day).

Anyway, it just seems stupid to be angry at someone who doesn't believe in the bible to swear an oath on said bible when the RED LETTERS in that same bible say, Don't Swear An Oath.

Elbow.
And.
Send.

*Hypocrisy Warning! This does not mean that I'm not a moron, an idiot or a jerk at times....when I am, I don't like me either.